John E. Clancy, Esq.
New Jersey Divorce and Family Law Attorney
Whippany, New Jersey
Hackensack, New Jersey
John has been a member of the firm since its inception, and has been a partner since 2012. He practices exclusively on divorce, family law and appellate matters, and is a NJ Supreme Court Certified Matrimonial Law Attorney. From 2013 through 2021, he received the honor of being included in the Super Lawyers Rising Stars* list published by Thomson Reuters, relative to being a divorce attorney. The qualifications or requirements for being included can be viewed at www.superlawyers.com. John believes in focusing on solutions, and is 100% invested in all of the matters that he oversees.
*no aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court
John has extensive experience in issues surrounding divorce, business and asset valuation, child custody, grandparent visitation, divorcing with special needs children, same sex marriage and all family matters. John volunteers and sits on the Morris County Early Settlement Panel and Blue Ribbon Panel for pending divorce cases in the Superior Court. He is also a volunteer for the Jersey Battered Women’s Service.
John also has experience appealing family matters, which has resulted in numerous published and unpublished cases.
For some matters, mediation is the best way to find a solution. John is an approved family law economic mediator pursuant to the New Jersey Court Rules.
- Elrom v. Elrom 439 N.J. Super. 424, 434 (App. Div. 2015)
- Major v. Maguire, 218 N.J. 530 (2015) (Landmark NJ Supreme Court Grandparent Visitation Case).
- B.G. v. L.H., 450 N.J. Super. 438 (Ch. Div. 2017), (complex custody jurisdiction)
- Halonski v. Halonski, 2020 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 1112
- Curran v. Curran, 2020 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 616
- Steffens v. Steffens, 2019 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 2643
- A.L.S. v. M.S., 2018 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 386
- Rodrigues v. Rodrigues, 2015 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 1988
- R.J.T. v. A.V.T., 2014 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 384
- Slim v. Slim, 2013 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 2855
- S.K. v. K.K., 2012 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 519
- Connell v. Connell, 2008 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 1416
- Menzel v. Davis, 2008 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 2100
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Child Support
- Parenting Time
- Domestic Violence
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Alimony and Child Support Modification
- Grandparent Issues
- Domestic Partnership and Civil Unions
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- Rutgers Law School
- J.D. – 2006
- Honors: Marshall-Brennan Fellow
- Honors: Herman J. Finn Legal Ethics Award
- Rutgers University
- B.A. cum laude – 2003
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Major: Political Science & Philosophy
- Minor: Economics
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Family Law Section, 2007 – Present
- Morris County Bar Association, Member, 2008 – Present
- Barry Croland Family Law American Inns of Court, Past Member
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Amy O’Connor, J.S.C., Warren County, Superior Court of NJ, Family Division, Judicial Law Clerk, 2006 – 2007
- Supreme Court of NJ, Office of Attorney Ethics, Intern, 2005
- Hon. Mary Eva Colalillo, J.S.C., Camden County Superior Court New Jersey, Civil Division, Judicial Intern, 2004
Nominated to SuperLawyers® List 2013 to 2021
Our attorneys have received the honor of being included in the Super Lawyers and/or Super Lawyers Rising Stars list(s) published by Thomson Reuters, relative to being divorce attorneys. The dates of their inclusion are noted above. The qualifications or requirements for being included can be viewed at www.superlawyers.com
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.