Paul H. Townsend, Esq.
New Jersey Divorce and Family Law Attorney
Whippany, New Jersey
Hackensack, New Jersey
973-840-8970 (Toll Free)
As a founding partner of Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, Paul Townsend brings hands-on involvement and dedication to every aspect of his divorce and family law practice. He works tirelessly to ensure that his clients not only survive but thrive before, during and after their work together through his honesty, directness, and personal compassion for his clients and their families.
Paul Townsend is uniquely qualified to understand and work through the emotional pain of divorce and family law with his clients because he has been through divorce in his own life; his work is deeply personal to him in this way. When his clients feel as though they are losing control of their lives, Paul is there to understand their concerns and to help them weather the storm that is divorce. He is an attorney who has the professional experience, the ability to tell his clients the truth, and the personal connection to the experience of divorce that is essential to getting clients through this difficult time.
Paul’s professional expertise is the bedrock on which he has built his practice and decades-long career as an attorney. He has been certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as Matrimonial Law attorney, a distinction that only two percent of his peers have also received. He has the honor of having been selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers list for over fifteen consecutive years. Paul was awarded a Juris Doctorate in 1984 from the Ohio Northern University School of Law, and received his undergraduate degree from Albright College. He is admitted to practice in the state of New Jersey and the District Court of New Jersey.
The decision to become a lawyer was an easy choice for Paul. It allows him to truly help people and fundamentally make a difference in their lives. His specific focus as a family and divorce lawyer allows him to help people every single day who are in one of the most challenging periods of their lives.
When co-founding Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, it was important to Paul that he was creating a firm that lives, sleeps, and breathes family law. Clients engaging with his firm benefit from the fact that every attorney at his firm is uniquely qualified to best serve them in divorce and family law. Paul and his fellow co-founders have worked tirelessly to insist that all clients are treated with empathy and respect, day in and day out.
Paul has built his career upon his long-held belief in personal connection. All of his clients are encouraged to reach out to him at any point during their work together. Having experienced the painful process of divorce himself, he knows what a difference it can make to have someone on the other end of the line who will always answer. Paul involves his clients in every aspect of their case, knowing that they are intelligent people who deserve to know all of the facts so that they can come to a decision on the best course of action for themselves and their families. A client will not be told what the course of action is; Paul will discuss all options with his clients, and they will make those decisions together. Working with Paul Townsend is an experience based around the tenets of honesty, personal connection, expertise, and deep-seated compassion.
Our attorneys have received the honor of being included in the Super Lawyers and/or Super Lawyers Rising Stars list(s) published by Thomson Reuters, relative to being divorce attorneys. The dates of their inclusion are noted above. The qualifications or requirements for being included on said list can be viewed here.
- Paul Townsend litigating in the landmark NJ Supreme Court decision of Bisbing v Bisbing
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Litigation & Appeals
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Matrimonial Attorney, 2002
- New Jersey, 1984
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1984
- Ohio Northern University Pettit College of Law, Ada, Ohio
- J.D. – 1984
- Honors: American Jurisprudence Award Law & Computers
- Albright College
- B.A. – 1980
- Major: Political Science
- Lecturer, Divorce & Business, Seton Hall University, 1997 – 1998
- Lecturer, Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Family Law Institute, 2000 – 2001
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Essex County Bar Association, 1992 – 1996
- Somerset County Bar Association, Member, Executive Family Law Committee, 1992 – 1995
- Union County Bar Association, Member, 1996 – 2000
- Morris County Bar Association, Member, 2000 – Present
- American Society of Legal Advocates, 2015 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Hartlaub, Dotten, Terry & Townsend, P.C., Summit, New Jersey, Partner, 1996 – 2000
- Hannoch Weisman, P.C., Roseland, New Jersey, Senior Associate Attorney, 1992 – 1996
- Thatcher & Lanza, Attorneys, Flemington, New Jersey, Associate Attorney, 1990 – 1992
- James P. Yudes, Attorneys, Springfield, New Jersey, Associate Attorney, 1989 – 1990
- Frank J. Stanley, Esq., Somerville, New Jersey, Associate Attorney and Law Clerk
Pro Bono Activities
- Matrimonial Early Settlement Panelist, Morris, Somerset and Essex Counties
- Attorney for Summit Junior League, 2000