65 Madison Ave · Suite 420 · Morristown, NJ · 07960

¡Attention TAC People!

Press 'p' on your keyboard to make this palette go away.

Max width: 1200px
Color Hex R G B
Blue from Logo#003d65 0 61 101
Darker Blue#021020 2 16 32
Red from Logo#780500 120 5 0
Darker Red#400000 64 0 0
Gray from Modern Firm Site#f3f2ed 243 242 237
Bright, Light Blue#ccebff 204 235 255
Form Input Background Blue#accfe6 172 207 230
Slightly Darker Blue#002e4d 0 46 77
Slightly Darker Gray#e6e5e0 0 46 77
Darker Gray#cccbc7 0 46 77
Lighter Logo Blue#005c99 204 235 255
Login Link Blue#598fb3 89 143 179
Slighty Lighter Red#99150f 153 21 15
Slighty Darker Gray#b3b2ae 179 178 174
Hunter Green#013b23 1 59 35
Lighter Green #025935 ? ? ?
Beige Charcoal #1f1e1e ? ? ?
"Metallic Gold" #D4AF37 ? ? ?
"Darker Green" #012e1b ? ? ?

Next Steps After Being Served With A Complaint For Divorce

Have you just been served with a Complaint for Divorce and you are wondering as to the next steps? First and most importantly, as soon as you receive the Complaint, schedule a consultation with an experienced attorney to discuss the process as there are certain deadlines that need to be met. The attorney will provide you with some general information as well as discussing the specifics of your case. Even if you choose to not retain the attorney, at the very least, you will be provided with relevant information that you will find extremely useful during the divorce process. The reason why I recommend that you not delay scheduling a consultation is the fact that you only have a certain amount of time to file a response to the Complaint or the Court may enter default against you. Upon service of the Complaint for Divorce, you have thirty-five (35) days to file an Answer, Appearance or in most cases, an Answer and Counterclaim. In the State of New Jersey, the Superior Court can grant a divorce even if you do not file an answer to the Complaint for Divorce or appear in the case within the thirty-five (35) day period. This is known as a “default”. Default means that your spouse can ask the Court to enter the relief that he/she is seeking without allowing you to file any opposition as you failed to respond to the Complaint for Divorce. You and the adversary can extend the period of time in which you have to answer by way of a consent order beyond the thirty-five (35) day time limit. If you are seeking an extension of time, I would obtain your adversary’s consent prior to the end of the thirty-five (35) day period. By filing a response to the Complaint for Divorce, you are preserving your rights to be heard on all issues involving you matter, including but not limited to custody/parenting time, alimony, child support and equitable distribution, and thus, you have a “voice” in the litigation. Be sure to schedule a consultation today with an experienced attorney. [Posted by Lynda Picinic, Esq.]

Begin Your Conversation

  • Disclaimer: Contacting our firm via the internet does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information through this form.

Contact Our Morris County Office



Morristown / Morris County Law Office

65 Madison Ave

Suite 420

Morristown, NJ 07960

Morris County Mediation Office Map