Spanish and Arabic translation available | 

Same Sex Marriage And Federal Tax Returns

In light of recent US Supreme Court decisions, many same sex couples in New Jerey who were married in states recognizing same sex marriage, but only enjoy a civil union in New Jersey, were left to wonder about their federal tax filing status.  That issue has now been clarified by the US Treasury.  If you reside in New Jersey, or any state, and were married in a state recognizing same sex marriage, you may file federal tax returns as a married couple.  However, you may not file a joint federal tax return if you are solely in an NJ Civil Union.

If you are considering an NJ Civil Union or Same Sex Marriage, or if your NJ Civil Union or Same Sex Marriage is at an end, our firm can assist you in the complex planning that is currently required due to varied state and federal laws.