65 Madison Ave · Suite 420 · Morristown, NJ · 07960

¡Attention TAC People!

Press 'p' on your keyboard to make this palette go away.

Max width: 1200px
Color Hex R G B
Blue from Logo#003d65 0 61 101
Darker Blue#021020 2 16 32
Red from Logo#780500 120 5 0
Darker Red#400000 64 0 0
Gray from Modern Firm Site#f3f2ed 243 242 237
Bright, Light Blue#ccebff 204 235 255
Form Input Background Blue#accfe6 172 207 230
Slightly Darker Blue#002e4d 0 46 77
Slightly Darker Gray#e6e5e0 0 46 77
Darker Gray#cccbc7 0 46 77
Lighter Logo Blue#005c99 204 235 255
Login Link Blue#598fb3 89 143 179
Slighty Lighter Red#99150f 153 21 15
Slighty Darker Gray#b3b2ae 179 178 174
Hunter Green#013b23 1 59 35
Lighter Green #025935 ? ? ?
Beige Charcoal #1f1e1e ? ? ?
"Metallic Gold" #D4AF37 ? ? ?
"Darker Green" #012e1b ? ? ?

Ex Cons Owing Child Support Can Be Given Trade Licenses

A judge in New Jersey has ruled that the state can’t deny trade liscenses to former convicts who have fallen behind in paying child support, cancelling out a 1998 law. The law has previously prevented New Jersey’s Division of Consumer Affairs from granting a license to anyone who owed six or more months in payment. The new ruling allows the organization to give licenses to ex-convicts who have fallen behind on their support payments while serving prison sentences. It may also include people who have been prevented from obtaining their license and making their payments due to prolonged disabilities.

One man, who is currently working as an electrician’s apprentice, served ten years in federal prison and trained to be an electrician during his incarceration. Upon his release, he discovered that, under the old law, he would not be able to get an electrician’s license because he owed more than $30,000 in child support payments.

The man got in touch with lawyers in Newark who argued the case in front of a judge. They hope that this ruling can help other ex-cons who have picked up trades while serving prison sentences. The state may later appeal the ruling to uphold the old law.

A child support dispute may make it hard for the child’s guardian to pay for everyday expenses, extracurricular costs and medical needs. If an individual is owed delinquent payments, a lawyer specializing in child support may be able to assist. An experienced attorney can help look out for the best interests of the child and work to gain the back payments that are owed.

Source: NJ.com, “Judge rules state can’t deny trade licenses to ex-cons who owe back child support“, Thomas Zambito, December 13, 2013

Begin Your Conversation

  • Disclaimer: Contacting our firm via the internet does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information through this form.

Contact Our Morris County Office



Morristown / Morris County Law Office

65 Madison Ave

Suite 420

Morristown, NJ 07960

Morris County Mediation Office Map