65 Madison Ave · Suite 420 · Morristown, NJ · 07960

¡Attention TAC People!

Press 'p' on your keyboard to make this palette go away.

Max width: 1200px
Color Hex R G B
Blue from Logo#003d65 0 61 101
Darker Blue#021020 2 16 32
Red from Logo#780500 120 5 0
Darker Red#400000 64 0 0
Gray from Modern Firm Site#f3f2ed 243 242 237
Bright, Light Blue#ccebff 204 235 255
Form Input Background Blue#accfe6 172 207 230
Slightly Darker Blue#002e4d 0 46 77
Slightly Darker Gray#e6e5e0 0 46 77
Darker Gray#cccbc7 0 46 77
Lighter Logo Blue#005c99 204 235 255
Login Link Blue#598fb3 89 143 179
Slighty Lighter Red#99150f 153 21 15
Slighty Darker Gray#b3b2ae 179 178 174
Hunter Green#013b23 1 59 35
Lighter Green #025935 ? ? ?
Beige Charcoal #1f1e1e ? ? ?
"Metallic Gold" #D4AF37 ? ? ?
"Darker Green" #012e1b ? ? ?

Paying For College Are You Required To Do It

The nation has been focused on a case in New Jersey involving an eighteen-year-old student, Rachel Canning, seeking support from her parents in the form of her high school tuition and her future college costs. The case has raised substantial issues regarding parents’ responsibility to support their adult children after they move out of their parents’ home. The case also brings into focus the distinction that the law of New Jersey seems to make between the responsibility of those parents who are still married and those that have divorced. A parent’s responsibility towards their child’s college education is almost always addressed as part of a divorce settlement agreement. Parents acknowledge their obligation to contribute towards their children’s college expenses in proportion with their respective incomes when the time comes for them to actually attend college.

There is no such obligation for parents to contribute to college when those parents are still married and residing together as an intact family unit. Rachel Canning’s case raises numerous questions with regard to whether those children of still married parents are, therefore, at a greater disadvantage when it comes to college costs than the children of divorced parents.

If you have questions with regard to your responsibilities towards your children’s education, be sure to consult with an attorney to understand both your rights and those of your children. [Posted by Jenny Birz, Esq.]

Begin Your Conversation

  • Disclaimer: Contacting our firm via the internet does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information through this form.

Contact Our Morris County Office



Morristown / Morris County Law Office

65 Madison Ave

Suite 420

Morristown, NJ 07960

Morris County Mediation Office Map