Spanish and Arabic translation available | 

Can I Regain Lost Parenting Time Due to COVID-19 in New Jersey?

As the COVID-19 pandemic has changed lives over the last few months, many families of divorce are looking to see what the future brings. This includes their parenting time agreements and what is best for their children. It is important to know that if you lost parenting time due to the pandemic, it is possible to have that time restored. Continue reading below to learn more.

Ask Your Ex For Additional Time

In many situations, parents can simply ask the other co-parent if they can see their child more often. If you lost time with your child during New Jersey’s stay at home orders, you can ask for extra weekends or nights with your child in the upcoming months to make up for this lost time. You may be surprised at how open the other parent is to the idea. While this is true, it is still important that you do so respectfully and prepare for the chance of negotiating. 

Work Out Mutual Social Distancing Parenting Time

Reassuring a parent that their child is safe will go a long way. During these unprecedented times, this can be made possible with a “social distancing” contract. This can state that both parents will agree to follow CDC and local health guidelines while spending time with their child, including wearing a mask and following proper hygiene practices. This allows both you and the co-parent peace of mind in knowing you will keep your child safe.

Have More Virtual Time

During the pandemic, many families have benefited from the availability of technology to remain in touch with loved ones. This helps families of divorce as they are able to connect with their children in ways they may not have been able to do physically. This can include video chatting, playing online games together, watching movies, etc. While it does not replace the joy of physical time, it is a helpful alternative during these times.

Modify a Parenting Time Plan

If you and your co-parent are able to reach agreements about changes in your parenting time, these changes should be reflected in writing. This should be done even if it is a small change. When you detail the modifications in a document, have your attorney review it before signing. 

Contact our Firm

If you need an experienced legal team to guide you through your divorce, contact Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark L.L.C today.