What do I Need to Know About Expert Witnesses in a New Jersey Divorce?
During a divorce, expert witnesses are sometimes used to assist a case. This is typically done outside of litigation through alternative dispute resolution methods, such as mediation, arbitration, and collaborative divorces. These individuals are often in the financial or psychological field. Using an expert is valuable because of their knowledge, experience, and unbiased view of the outcome. For example, certain expert testimonies can assist during the division of assets or disputes over child custody concerns. It is important to know their testimony is not set in stone. However, it is weighted more heavily than spousal testimonies during disputes. Continue reading below to learn more and contact an experienced New Jersey divorce attorney for assistance with your case.
What are Types of Expert Witnesses Used in Family Law?
There are a variety of expert witnesses that may be used in a divorce. They can vary depending on the specifics of the case. This can include the following:
- Small Business Experts – This can be valuable for self-employed individuals. One spouse may claim their partner’s business is valued higher or their projected income is greater than it really is. Business experts can settle these disputes.
- Financial Experts – This expert can help to value retirement assets, small businesses, properties, cost of child care, and other complications when dealing with financial aspects of a divorce.
- Medical Experts – Medical professionals may be used to determine the cost of healthcare for a child or a spouse. This testimony may impact alimony or child support eligibility and/or amounts.
- Psychologists – Psychologists and social workers may be used as expert witnesses, especially in matters of domestic violence. They make recommendations that benefit the child’s physical and psychological well being.
- Real Estate Experts – These experts can help to accurately value all owned properties during the division of assets.
Contact our Firm
If you need an experienced legal team to guide you through your divorce, contact Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark L.L.C today.