Spanish and Arabic translation available | 

How do I Obtain Parenting Time During the Holidays?

While it is not yet the holiday season, the time of year is quickly approaching. Because it is always important to be proactive, it can be time to revisit your parenting plan. All parents like to spend the holidays with their children. However, if you and your child’s other parent are divorced, it is important to know if holidays are in your parenting time agreement. In the event that you want to spend a holiday with your child that is not designated in your agreement, there are steps you can take. Continue reading below and contact an experienced New Jersey family law attorney.

What do I do if a Holiday is Not in my Custody Agreement?

If you wish to spend a holiday with your child that is not in your parenting time agreement, a good place to begin is by discussing the idea with your child’s other parent. See if they are willing to exchange parenting time for the holiday you want. If this does not work, it is possible to have your parenting time agreement modified. To begin this process, petition the court for a post-judgment modification. This allows certain changes to be made to the agreement, such as allowing you to see your child on a specific date that you otherwise would not have, such as a holiday. It is important to note that when asking for a modification, you are required to prove there has been a significant change in circumstances that calls for it.

What Else is Included in a Parenting Time Plan?

There are a variety of terms that are included within a parenting plan to ensure that it is enforceable. This can include the following:

  • A designation of physical and legal custody
  • A description of the parenting arrangement
  • A description of any changes that may occur in the arrangement as well as methods to modify the plan
  • A statement delegating any parental responsibilities and rights
  • Transportation concerns to bring the child to and from each parent
  • Any concerns regarding birthdays and holidays
  • Provisions regarding traveling out of the state or country
  • A description of access to and sharing school and medical records

Contact our Firm

If you need an experienced legal team to guide you through your divorce, contact Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark L.L.C today.