Spanish and Arabic translation available | 

What Are My Options if My Alimony Agreement is Not Enforced?

If your former spouse is not making timely and full alimony payments after agreeing to do so, you will need to retain the services of a skilled New Jersey divorce attorney as soon as possible. Our legal team is equipped with the knowledge and experience required to ensure that your alimony agreement is enforced.

What are the benefits of an alimony agreement?

Alimony agreements are a good way for divorced couples to make sure that they can continue with the same lifestyle that they were used to when married. Keeping up with important expenses such as mortgage payments, food, car payments, clothing, and more are all accounted into this. With the use of alimony payments, those who are unable to sufficiently support themselves will be able to comfortably pursue any educational or professional aspirations.

It is important to note that once an alimony agreement is signed, both spouses are legally bound to it and must adhere to the terms stated. In some cases, alimony terms are not always followed by the obligated payor. While there can be many reasons why this might occur, it is important to retain the services of an experienced New Jersey divorce attorney that can aid in communicating with your former spouse to ensure that alimony responsibilities are being fulfilled.

What can happen if I do not receive alimony payments?

There are several reasons why a former spouse may stop paying alimony. For example, changes in life circumstances such as loss of employment, injury, or illness are all common factors that can prevent an individual from being able to earn enough money to meet alimony obligations. Unfortunately, if a couple is in this situation, communication between the former spouses can be sparse or even non-existent. That is why you will need a skilled New Jersey divorce attorney to represent you and speak on your behalf. Our legal team can help you enforce or modify the alimony agreement.

Do not wait to reach out to our firm today to get started. Our attorneys are dedicated to ensuring that you are receiving the support you need. We are only one call away.

What will a court consider in a motion for enforcement of the alimony agreement?

If the court finds that your former spouse is not obeying the alimony agreement set in place, teh court may do the following to recoup your payments:

  • Placing liens on owned properties in order to raise funds upon sale
  • Work directly with banks to deduct funds directly from checking or savings accounts
  • Find the other party in contempt of court which is a criminal offense
  • Garnishing wages in order to secure payment
  • Seizing property of the other party in order to sell the items to raise funds for alimony payments


At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, LLC, our seasoned divorce and family law attorneys ensure that through the process of resolving your family matter, you feel empowered, not overwhelmed. Providing unwavering support, undivided attention, and unflinching advocacy, our team invests in your cause, working tirelessly to pave your path toward a brighter tomorrow. If you need an experienced legal team to guide you through your divorce, contact Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark L.L.C today.