Spanish and Arabic translation available | 

What Can I Do if My Ex Left New Jersey With My Child Without Court Authorization?

If your former spouse left the state of New Jersey with your child in violation of your custody agreement, you will need to reach out to our firm today to discuss your options. Our skilled Morris County NJ child custody attorneys are on your side.

What steps should I take if my ex recently left New Jersey with my child, in violation of our custody agreement?

If you are facing this overwhelming situation, our legal team understands the stress you may be feeling. First, you should recognize that it is illegal for a non-custodial parent to leave the state without the other parent’s permission or permission from the courts. The one anomaly to this may be if the parent and the child are in some sort of trouble and they happen to cross state lines while running from that danger. Because of this, if your ex left the state in violation of your custody agreement or is refusing to return your child and you fear for your child’s safety, you should call the police.

It is also important to recognize that in many instances, simply violating this agreement, whether a child is in danger or not, is adequate enough to merit a modification to the initial custody agreement. These agreements are legal documents and, if they are not followed fully, those who violate them can expect to face serious consequences penalties. Ultimately, the court will have to weigh the facts of your case and choose whether your ex’s violation is significant enough to warrant a custody change.

Reach out to our firm today if you have any lingering questions or would like assistance fighting an allegation of custody agreement violation. Our legal team is on your side.

What modifications can be made after a divorce?

Below are the divorce terms that can be modified in the state of New Jersey:

  • Child Support: If a person’s financial situation is different, the amount that either spouse owes can be requested to be increased or decreased.
  • Spousal Support: If a person’s financial or personal situation alters, they may ask that the amount they owe be adjusted.
  • Child Custody: If either parent or child experiences a change that finds the current custody agreement no longer applicable, child custody can be requested to be revised.


At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, LLC, our seasoned divorce and family law attorneys ensure that through the process of resolving your family matter, you feel empowered, not overwhelmed. Providing unwavering support, undivided attention, and unflinching advocacy, our team invests in your cause, working tirelessly to pave your path toward a brighter tomorrow. If you need an experienced legal team to guide you through your divorce, contact Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark L.L.C today.