Spanish and Arabic translation available | 

Will a Parent with No Visitation Rights Have to Pay Child Support in NJ?

If you are wondering about whether or not a parent with no custodial or visitation rights is responsible for paying child support, read on and reach out to our skilled Morris County NJ child support attorneys today.

How does a New Jersey court establish child support responsibilities?

In the state of New Jersey, courts will look at a number of different factors when determining the quantity of child support one spouse should supply for the other. One of the most significant elements that are examined is if one spouse was financially independent in the marriage. If you were the spouse who received higher annual earnings, there is an increased chance that you will owe child support, and the less your former spouse earns, the more you be accountable for. Also, courts in New Jersey will look at whether your child has special needs, if your child plans on obtaining higher education or attending university, and many other factors about your child’s best interests. Recognize that New Jersey courts will always make their decisions based on the child’s best interests.

Will a parent without visitation rights have to pay child support in New Jersey?

In the event that you are the supporting parent, you will need to recognize that child support is not dependent on child custody. Basically, no matter what your custody agreement and visitation rights are, even if your former spouse has sole custody of your child if the courts decide that you must pay child support, you are directed to do so. If you are incapable or simply do not make your routine child support payments, you can expect to encounter a number of severe consequences that will be implemented by New Jersey courts.

As a result, you should keep in mind that in many cases, you may have your support agreement adjusted. For instance, when a child gets to a certain age, he or she may no longer be eligible to receive support payments. Furthermore, if your child is financially independent, he or she may also no longer be qualified to receive child support. On the other hand, however, you should recognize that if your child has special needs or is preparing to attend college, as the parent receiving the support you can ask for an extension on your support agreement, even if your child has reached an age where support would otherwise be concluded. Reach out to our firm today to speak with our family law attorneys about any questions or concerns.


At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, LLC, our seasoned divorce and family law attorneys ensure that through the process of resolving your family matter, you feel empowered, not overwhelmed. Providing unwavering support, undivided attention, and unflinching advocacy, our team invests in your cause, working tirelessly to pave your path toward a brighter tomorrow. If you need an experienced legal team to guide you through your divorce, contact Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark L.L.C today.