Spanish and Arabic translation available | 

Post-Judgment Modifications in New Jersey | What to Know

When a couple gets divorced, various matters will have to be settled. You will likely create a child custody agreement, child support agreement, and alimony agreement. These arrangements are carefully planned, so it can be difficult to change them. But, in some cases, things change and these agreements no longer work. If this occurs, you may need to request a modification. Read on to learn more about post-judgment modifications.

What Can be Modified?

In the state of New Jersey, modifications can be made to some of divorce and family law settlements that are made during the proceedings. This can include the following matters:

  • Child Custody: When either a parent or child experiences changes in their lives and the current custody agreement no longer works, it can be modified. 
  • Child Support: When a person owes their former spouse child support payments and their financial situation changes, either party may request an increase or decrease in the amount that is owed.
  • Spousal Support: Similar to child support payments, if one former-spouse who is making spousal support payments experiences any changes in their financial or personal situation, they can request an increase or decrease in the amount that is owed.

What Circumstances Call for a Modification? 

In order for a modification to be made to any settlement agreement, the ex-spouse requesting it will be required to prove there is a significant and ongoing change in their life that calls for the agreement to be altered. This can be difficult to do, so it is important to speak with an experienced family law attorney. The following are some various reasons that may call for a post-judgment modification:

  • A child reaches the age of emancipation and no longer needs child support payments
  • The child is in college and financial responsibility must be determined
  • Either party is living with another person and no longer needs support from their former-spouse
  • If there are changes in the child’s schedule, a former spouse’s custody terms, parenting time, and visitation schedule may need to be adjusted
  • If either party receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc., there may be a need in spousal or child support payment amount
  • If either party exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc., custody agreements may need changing

If you need to modify a family law agreement in New Jersey, contact our firm today. We are here to advocate for you and walk you through the process each step of the way. Do not hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns.


If you need an experienced legal team to guide you through your divorce, contact Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark L.L.C today.