Spanish and Arabic translation available | 


Morris County NJ Paternity Lawyers

Family Law Attorneys with Offices in Whippany, New Jersey


Every child has two biological parents, and under New Jersey law, a child has the right to care and support from both parents, whether or not they are married at the time the child is born.

In some cases, unmarried parents will care for a child together for a while and then go their separate ways. In other cases, one parent is not able to be involved with the child during infancy but later becomes available. In either case, parents and children have legal rights.

To discuss any matter — including paternity, custody, visitation and support — involving questions of paternity, call 973-840-8970 for a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable lawyers.

Paternity and Child Custody Rights in New Jersey

Just because you are not married does not mean you do not have a right to be a part of your child’s life. Under New Jersey paternity law, it is generally considered in the best interests of the child for both parents to have a share of child custody and visitation, regardless of marital status.

Our attorneys can help you pursue the legal right to parenting time with your child if the other parent is trying to restrict that right.

Even if you haven’t been involved in your child’s life for a long time, and even if the child has developed a strong relationship with the other parent’s new spouse or partner, the courts will likely grant you some parenting time so you can rebuild a relationship with your child.

If paternity is in question, we can examine the birth certificate, pursue DNA paternity testing and take other steps to confirm who the father is.

Paternity and Child Support Issues in New Jersey

Another aspect of paternity law involves child support. A child born outside of marriage still has a right to support from both parents. If one parent is not living in the same household as the child, he or she may be required to pay child support.

To protect the rights of your child, it may be important to get an officially binding child support order from the family court. Contact us to learn more about what you can do to obtain the support your child is owed.