65 Madison Ave · Suite 420 · Morristown, NJ · 07960

¡Attention TAC People!

Press 'p' on your keyboard to make this palette go away.

Max width: 1200px
Color Hex R G B
Blue from Logo#003d65 0 61 101
Darker Blue#021020 2 16 32
Red from Logo#780500 120 5 0
Darker Red#400000 64 0 0
Gray from Modern Firm Site#f3f2ed 243 242 237
Bright, Light Blue#ccebff 204 235 255
Form Input Background Blue#accfe6 172 207 230
Slightly Darker Blue#002e4d 0 46 77
Slightly Darker Gray#e6e5e0 0 46 77
Darker Gray#cccbc7 0 46 77
Lighter Logo Blue#005c99 204 235 255
Login Link Blue#598fb3 89 143 179
Slighty Lighter Red#99150f 153 21 15
Slighty Darker Gray#b3b2ae 179 178 174
Hunter Green#013b23 1 59 35
Lighter Green #025935 ? ? ?
Beige Charcoal #1f1e1e ? ? ?
"Metallic Gold" #D4AF37 ? ? ?
"Darker Green" #012e1b ? ? ?

Protect Your Chester NJ Business, its Assets & Partners

Oct 10, 2018

Morristown NJ Child Custody Attorneys

Answering Your Frequently Asked Child Custody Questions

Morristown NJ Child Custody Attorneys | Parsippany NJ Child Custody Lawyer
Child Support FAQs

Every family situation is unique, so the specific answers to your child custody questions will vary depending upon the facts of your case. Below are some of the most common questions that our divorce and family law attorneys are asked, but we are always available to address your unique concerns with a cost-free consultation.

To schedule a free initial consultation with our New Jersey custody lawyers, call 973-828-0829 today.

New Jersey Child Custody Questions – Answered

How do I gain custody of my child?

In order to pursue custody, you must first file a motion or complaint with the New Jersey courts. The court will review your application, and in most cases, it will require custody mediation. You will also be required to attend a parental education class. If mediation fails to work out an acceptable custody arrangement, the court will decide the matter in a custody hearing.

Is it true that custody is usually awarded to the mother?

Child custody and visitation decisions are supposed to be gender neutral and uphold both mothers’ and fathers’ rights, regardless of the age of the child. We can advise you on the extent to which the courts in your area adhere to this standard.

Can I move out of state with my child?

Generally, both parents have the right to be a part of their children’s lives, so any relocation that prevents the child from regularly seeing one of his or her parents is discouraged. However, there are certain exceptions. Our New Jersey child custody attorneys are highly familiar with the latest developments in child custody, including the laws governing parent relocation, and we can advise you about your options.

What rights do grandparents have to see their grandchildren?

When a grandparent has a meaningful relationship with his or her grandchild, the New Jersey courts are usually reluctant to deny the grandparent access to that child. If the parent objects, the grandparent can file motion of complaint for visitation. Our law firm can assist you with these types of grandparent issues.

What is a “guardian ad litem”?

A guardian ad litem is an attorney appointed solely to represent the children. Usually, the court only appoints a guardian ad litem when it believes the children’s best interests are in danger and that they need an advocate of their own. Both parents may be required to share the cost of hiring the guardian ad litem, in addition to their own lawyers.

Begin Your Conversation

  • Disclaimer: Contacting our firm via the internet does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information through this form.

Contact Our Morris County Office



Morristown / Morris County Law Office

65 Madison Ave

Suite 420

Morristown, NJ 07960

Morris County Mediation Office Map