Spanish and Arabic translation available | 

Will My Ex Still Pay Child Support If I Make More Money?

When you are hashing out a child support agreement, the most important thing is that the needs of the child or children are met. Another important thing is that both parents are providing for the children in some way. This can mean that the relative wealth of each spouse actually does not matter too much. The spouse with less money can actually end up paying child support to the spouse who makes more than them. Our Morris County, NJ child support attorneys can help you learn more about how these arrangements can work and what you can do to protect the best interests of your children.

What is the Difference Between a Custodial and Non-Custodial Parent?

One thing you need to understand is the difference between custodial and non-custodial parents. The custodial parent is the one who has the children most of the time. The non-custodial parent gets visitation rights. Maybe they get the kids every other weekend and have a day or two of visitation during the week.

Which Parent Has to Pay Child Support?

Since they are the ones spending the most time with them, the assumption is that the custodial parent is going to be spending the most money to meet the needs of their children. So the non-custodial parent needs to send additional support that can help ensure that their children’s needs are met. This is child support.

In many cases, the incomes of each spouse do not really matter here. If you are not a custodial parent, you have to support your children. Your children are entitled to some support from you. So even if one person makes double what the other does, the poorer spouse could end up paying the richer one child support.

What Happens if My Ex Cannot Afford to Pay Child Support?

In some rare cases, one parent really cannot afford to provide for their children. In these situations where one parent struggles to get essentials like a bed or food, the more financially secure spouse may end up sending money to the non-custodial parent so that they can still have visitation with their children.

Can a Child Support Agreement Be Modified Later?

Yes, a judge can grant a modification request for your agreement. If the financial situation of one or both parents has changed, that can be the reason for the modification. A significant change in the healthcare costs of your children can also be a good reason to request a modification.

Talk to Our Legal Team

If you want to learn more about how our attorneys can help you fight for the best possible outcome in your divorce, contact Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark. We can schedule a consultation and tell you more about what we can do to assist you in this stressful time.