Spanish and Arabic translation available | 

How Do I Protect My Family After an Act of Domestic Violence in New Jersey?

When dealing with domestic abuse situations, it is first important to know that it is not your fault. Anyone, regardless of their age, gender, race, sexual orientation, etc. can find themselves victim of these horrible situations. The next step is how you proceed. After suffering from domestic violence in a home, it is crucial to take action in order to protect yourself and your family from it ever happening again. Continue reading and contact an experienced New Jersey domestic abuse attorney for assistance moving forward to defend yourself. 

New Jersey Domestic Violence Laws

In the state of New Jersey, the law states that all victims of domestic violence can seek out criminal and civil relief against their alleged abuser. However, it is important to know that simply informing authorities of an incident is not enough to receive the relief that is necessary for protection. While it is unfortunate, it makes contacting an attorney necessary in order to fight for the justice you deserve. The first step to accomplish this is filing a restraining order immediately after a first incident of violence occurs. 

How Do I Obtain a Restraining Order in New Jersey?

While you may not require an attorney to get a restraining order, they can provide assistance and guidance throughout the process. This begins by contacting the local authorities. It is understandable that involving law enforcement can be scary. However, it is of the utmost importance to do so in order to receive proper protection. Once the incident is reported to the police or local court, you can receive a Temporary Restraining Order. This is a document that will prevent your abuser from contacting you until a Final Restraining Order hearing can take place. During the hearing, evidence of the abuse must be presented in order to prove the incident took place. As long as this is done, the restraining order can be made permanent. 

In addition to this, it is possible to press criminal charges against an abuser if you wish to do so. In the event of this, you must file a Criminal Complaint regarding the harassment, stalking, or assault, or other type of abusive behavior you experienced. 

If you experienced domestic violence and would like to speak with someone for support, contact the National Domestic Abuse Hotline at 1-800-799-7233.

Contact our Firm

If you need an experienced legal team to guide you through a domestic abuse matter, contact Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark L.L.C today.