Spanish and Arabic translation available | 

Child Support in New Jersey | Most Asked Questions

Child support can be a complicated issue. As a result, many people on both sides of the agreement often have questions. Read on for more information regarding child support in New Jersey and some of the most commonly asked questions.

How is Child Support Determined in New Jersey?

The purpose of child support is to ensure that the child’s standard of living is the same or better than before the divorce. As a result, New Jersey courts take child support seriously and will calculate it carefully. When making a decision about child support, a New Jersey court may examine the following factors:

  • The financial status of each parent
  • Who has physical custody of the child
  • Any income, debt, and assets of each parent
  • Each parent’s earning capacity
  • Each parent’s work history
  • The child’s needs
  • The child’s age/health
  • The child’s education
  • The cost of providing for the child

When Does Child Support End?

Generally, child support can end when the child reaches the age of emancipation. In New Jersey, this age is 19. That being said, there are some circumstances under which child support may be terminated early or extended. For example, if your child intends to pursue higher education, child support payments may be extended.

Can I Modify My Arrangement?

There are some cases in which child support payments can be increased or decreased. In order to modify your arrangement, you will have to prove to the court that a major change has occurred and will affect your finances for the foreseeable future. Some examples of this include:

  • One parent has seen an increase or decrease in yearly income
  • One parent has either lost their job, or, on the flip side, received a promotion
  • The supporting parent has recently been injured or has developed a medical condition resulting in hefty bills
  • The federal income tax law has changed
  • One of the parents has recently lost their home
  • One of the parents remarried and no longer requires child support from the other parent

How Can I Enforce Court-Ordered Child Support Payments?

If your child’s parent is not paying his or her court-ordered child support, you should contact an experienced family law attorney. Child support can be enforced in various ways. Some of these ways include:

  • Taking money directly from the defaulting parent’s wages
  • Redirecting a tax refund
  • Credit reporting
  • Seizing their property
  • Suspending their driver’s license
  • Denying them a passport
  • Taking money from a civil award, settlement, or lottery winnings

If you have any questions or concerns regarding child support in New Jersey, contact our firm today.


If you need an experienced legal team to guide you through your divorce, contact Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark L.L.C today.