How to Prepare for a Mediated Divorce in New Jersey
If you are getting a mediated divorce, it is important to be prepared for the road ahead. Read on to learn more about the best ways to prepare for a mediated divorce in New Jersey.
What is mediation?
Mediation is the process of solving matters of your divorce with the help of a neutral third party. This is beneficial because it allows you to get divorced outside of the court, which is often cheaper, faster, and more private.
How to prepare for a mediated divorce?
- Do your research: You will want to make sure that you learn the process of a divorce mediation before you begin. Be sure to research your rights and responsibilities.
- Pick the right mediator: It is important to find the right mediator for you. Working with someone you trust can make a world of difference.
- Control your emotions: Divorces are stressful and difficult. Often, emotions run high. When it comes to disagreements on sensitive topics, you will want to ensure that you remain calm. Remember, it is completely acceptable to take a break during the mediation to ensure that things do not get out of hand.
- Keep an open mind: The purpose of mediation is to reach a compromise and seek out creative solutions. This means things may not go 100% your way. It is essential to be prepared for this and you will want to work through this with your partner and the mediator. As a result, it is critical that you keep an open mind because you may reach an agreement that you would not have thought of if you hadn’t considered all options.
- Be honest: A successful mediation only occurs when both spouses are honest with themselves, each other, and their mediator. That is why if something does not feel right, or you would like to go over an issue again, it is important that you speak up.
If you have any questions or concerns about a mediated divorce, reach out to our firm to discuss your options. We will advocate for you every step of the way.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
At Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, LLC, our seasoned divorce and family law attorneys ensure that through the process of resolving your family matter, you feel empowered, not overwhelmed. Providing unwavering support, undivided attention, and unflinching advocacy, our team invests in your cause, working tirelessly to pave your path toward a brighter tomorrow. If you need an experienced legal team to guide you through your divorce, contact Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark L.L.C today.