65 Madison Ave · Suite 420 · Morristown, NJ · 07960

¡Attention TAC People!

Press 'p' on your keyboard to make this palette go away.

Max width: 1200px
Color Hex R G B
Blue from Logo#003d65 0 61 101
Darker Blue#021020 2 16 32
Red from Logo#780500 120 5 0
Darker Red#400000 64 0 0
Gray from Modern Firm Site#f3f2ed 243 242 237
Bright, Light Blue#ccebff 204 235 255
Form Input Background Blue#accfe6 172 207 230
Slightly Darker Blue#002e4d 0 46 77
Slightly Darker Gray#e6e5e0 0 46 77
Darker Gray#cccbc7 0 46 77
Lighter Logo Blue#005c99 204 235 255
Login Link Blue#598fb3 89 143 179
Slighty Lighter Red#99150f 153 21 15
Slighty Darker Gray#b3b2ae 179 178 174
Hunter Green#013b23 1 59 35
Lighter Green #025935 ? ? ?
Beige Charcoal #1f1e1e ? ? ?
"Metallic Gold" #D4AF37 ? ? ?
"Darker Green" #012e1b ? ? ?

How Long Must You Reside In New Jersey Before Filing A Complaint For Divorce Or Dissolution Of Civil

In order for a New Jersey Court to have jurisdiction over a divorce matter or over the dissolution of a civil union, generally, at least one party must have resided in the State of New Jersey for one (1) entire year prior to filing the Complaint. The purpose of this residency requirement is to prevent parties from jurisdiction shopping or forum shopping. Essentially, the desire is to prevent parties from simply moving across state lines in order to obtain a divorce without having been a resident of the state for a sufficient period of time.

However, there is one exception to New Jersey’s one (1) year residency requirement, which is for cases of adultery. In cases of adultery, the one (1) year residency requirement need not be met. In particular, N.J.S.A. 2A:34-10 provides as follows: “no action for absolute divorce or dissolution of a civil union shall be commenced for any cause other than adultery, unless one of the parties has been for 1 year next preceding the commencement of the action a bona fide resident of this State.”

Therefore, in order to file a complaint for divorce or for the dissolution of a civil union on any ground other than adultery (i.e. irreconcilable differences, extreme cruelty, etc.), at least one of the parties must have resided in New Jersey for one year.

Begin Your Conversation

  • Disclaimer: Contacting our firm via the internet does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information through this form.

Contact Our Morris County Office



Morristown / Morris County Law Office

65 Madison Ave

Suite 420

Morristown, NJ 07960

Morris County Mediation Office Map