Benefits of Prenuptial Agreements
Serving clients in Morristown, Whippany and across Morris County NJ
Benefits of a Prenuptial Agreement
The benefits of a prenuptial agreement are really to give you a blueprint. If you were unfortunate to go down that road of divorce, it gives you a blueprint as to how a divorce would unfold. One of the benefits of doing that is that there are a lot of overly aggressive lawyers out there and if you have a road map as to how the assets are going to be divided or how spouse´s support is going to be handled, it really streamlines the divorce process.
What Can Be Included in a Prenuptial Agreement?
When researching the answer to a legal question, it’s important to read the actual language of the statute. There is also a benefit, however, to read a summary of the statute in plain English. Below you can find a brief overview of the laws relating to New Jersey prenuptial agreements, as well as links to the relevant statutes.
A prenuptial agreement can include the following:
- The rights and obligations of each spouse when it comes to property;
- The right to manage and control property;
- How property will be distributed at divorce, death, or the occurrence (or non-occurrence) of any other event;
- The modification or elimination of spousal support;
- The making of an arrangement (such as a will or trust) to carry out the provisions of the agreement;
- The ownership rights in and distribution of the death benefit from a life insurance policy;
- The choice of law governing the construction of the agreement; and/or
- Any other matter, such as personal rights and obligations, as long as it doesn’t violate public policy.
Contact a Morristown Divorce Attorney and Start Building the Foundations of a Brighter Future
At The Law Office of Townsend, Tomaio, and Newmark, we pride ourselves on offering flexible divorce and family law solutions that suit the individual needs of our clients.
With the assistance of our divorce mediators, you and your spouse can successfully and amicably resolve your disputes in an efficient and cost-saving process. Lean on the experience we have built helping clients in New Jersey, including the towns of Paramus, Hackensack, Ridgewood, Teaneck, Fort Lee, and the greater Bergen County area.