Spanish and Arabic translation available | 

Complex Custody Matters in New Jersey

Custody is one of the most complicated issues of a divorce. Often, parents disagree when it comes to what is best for their children. Additionally, a divorce can take a major emotional toll on a child. But, some custody issues can be even more complicated than others. Read on to learn more about some of the most complex issues that can arise when it comes to custody.

Relocating Out of State

After a divorce, many people wish to relocate, whether it be for a new job, to be closer to family, for a fresh start, and so on. But, this can be complicated if you share custody with your ex-spouse. If you and your ex share custody, you will have to get permission from him or her to move out of state with your child. If your ex does not give permission, you will need to obtain the permission of a New Jersey court. When going through the court, you will have to prove that the move will be beneficial to your child. You will likely need the help of an experienced family law attorney.

Parental Alienation

Parental alienation involves a parent working to turn their child against the other parent. Parental alienation (PA) can be subtle and difficult to spot. It may be something as small as a parent taking passive jabs at the other parent, or as big as pretending to “save” the child from situations involving the other parent.  PA can seriously impact a child’s mental health. Additionally, it can affect the child’s relationship with both parents in extremely negative ways. If you believe you and your child are victims of parental alienation, it is important to take legal action right away.

International Kidnapping

If your child’s other parent takes your child out of the country without permission, this is known as international kidnapping. This is incredibly serious. If your spouse even threatens this behavior, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney immediately. 

Establishing Kinship Legal Guardianships

When birth parents in New Jersey are unable to care for their child, it is possible for a relative or friend of the family to petition the courts for appointment as a kinship legal guardian with primary legal custody. This is only if they have been the child’s caretaker for at least 12 months.

Our firm understands that custody can be complicated. If you are struggling with any complex custody issues, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to speak with an experienced and dedicated attorney.


If you need an experienced legal team to guide you through your divorce, contact Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark L.L.C today.