Spanish and Arabic translation available | 

What if I Can’t Afford to Pay Alimony?

If you cannot afford to pay alimony, you have a problem. You made an agreement to pay a certain amount after your divorce concluded and you can be punished through the legal system if you do not make good on your end of that agreement. However, circumstances change and the court can be made to understand that. If you cannot pay spousal support, you need to act quickly and consult our Morris County, NJ alimony and spousal support lawyers.

Can I Change an Alimony Agreement If I Can’t Pay?

You can actually file a petition with the court and ask to have your alimony agreement modified. You will need to have a good reason though. If you have just been spending your money irresponsibly, it’s unlikely that the court will sympathize with you and agree to change your agreement. If you cannot pay alimony right now, you have to show that it’s for a good reason like:

A change in your employment status: Losing your job can make it difficult to handle obligations like spousal support. You will need evidence that you were fired or laid off. Simply quitting your job is unlikely to convince a court to modify your agreement. You should also have proof that you are actively seeking out employment.

A medical condition or injury: If you have been injured or developed a sickness or disability, that can mean expensive medical bills. If such expenses are preventing you from paying your alimony, that could be grounds for modifying the agreement.

Will I Get In Legal Trouble If I Don’t Pay Alimony?

You want to address the situation quickly if you cannot pay your alimony. If you wait too long to act, your ex might bring you to court and they would be in the right here. You are failing to live up to a legal obligation.

You could have liens placed on property or wages garnished. The court can hold you in contempt, which can mean jail time, or suspend your driver’s license. This is why you should address the issue right away if you are unable to pay alimony.

Do I Need to Hire a Lawyer?

An experienced attorney can help you petition the court and ask for a modification to your alimony agreement. We cannot promise the world, but you can be confident that we will help you fight for the best possible outcome here. We will make the best possible case for you and do everything that we can to convince the court of a need for a change.

Talk to an Alimony Lawyer

So if you are struggling to make spousal support payments, do not wait until it’s too late to do anything about it. Contact Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark, L.L.C. and schedule an appointment with our team. We can advise you on the best path forward.