65 Madison Ave · Suite 420 · Morristown, NJ · 07960

¡Attention TAC People!

Press 'p' on your keyboard to make this palette go away.

Max width: 1200px
Color Hex R G B
Blue from Logo#003d65 0 61 101
Darker Blue#021020 2 16 32
Red from Logo#780500 120 5 0
Darker Red#400000 64 0 0
Gray from Modern Firm Site#f3f2ed 243 242 237
Bright, Light Blue#ccebff 204 235 255
Form Input Background Blue#accfe6 172 207 230
Slightly Darker Blue#002e4d 0 46 77
Slightly Darker Gray#e6e5e0 0 46 77
Darker Gray#cccbc7 0 46 77
Lighter Logo Blue#005c99 204 235 255
Login Link Blue#598fb3 89 143 179
Slighty Lighter Red#99150f 153 21 15
Slighty Darker Gray#b3b2ae 179 178 174
Hunter Green#013b23 1 59 35
Lighter Green #025935 ? ? ?
Beige Charcoal #1f1e1e ? ? ?
"Metallic Gold" #D4AF37 ? ? ?
"Darker Green" #012e1b ? ? ?

You Are Not The Father

The New Jersey Court system has made it relatively easy to file a complaint for child support, whether under the dissolution (divorce) or non-dissolution (family matters for non-married litigants) docket. A litigant can seek and receive child support for a minor child without having to definitively prove paternity, so long as the father does not dispute paternity. Paternity tests are not automatically ordered by the Court. In a case where the parties are not married, many times the assumed father will sign a Certificate of Parentage, which is a sworn statement and legal document acknowledging paternity. In the case of a married couple, there is a rebuttable presumption that the husband is the father of the child.

As a result, a party who has been paying child support for a minor child for years could conceivably find himself in a position where he learns that the child is not biologically his. What recourse does jilted father have? If the father has signed a Certificate of Parentage, that acknowledgment cannot be rescinded after a support order has been established absent a showing of fraud, duress or mistake of fact. While one may want to logically argue that the new knowledge that the assumed father is actually not the father is a mistake of fact, therefore warranting reversal of support order, the Court may not agree. Instead the Court’s goal will be to act in the best interest of the child and the law dictates that it is in every child’s best interest to have a father and to have financial support. As such, absent exceptional circumstances (such as the actual biological father being available to step in and support the child), the chances of the Court letting the non-biological father who has acted as the child’s parent for years off the hook financially are slim. Further, if enough time has passed, a court may even determine that it is not in the child’s best interests to order a paternity test. Even slimmer are the non-biological parent’s chances of having his previously paid child support returned to him.

Child support is an obligation that spans many years and is not easy to extinguish. Therefore, it is in a potential father’s best interests to consult with an experienced family law attorney when faced with questions of paternity and child support. Posted by Robyn E. Ross, Esq.

Begin Your Conversation

  • Disclaimer: Contacting our firm via the internet does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information through this form.

Contact Our Morris County Office



Morristown / Morris County Law Office

65 Madison Ave

Suite 420

Morristown, NJ 07960

Morris County Mediation Office Map